Travel Counsellor Course & Program
- Diploma Program – 28 weeks (total time in class and on practical placement)
- Monday to Friday, 4 hours per day
Travel and Tourism is a dynamic and exciting industry and one of the biggest employers in the world. Are you an individual with a good knowledge of the world, a love of travel and excellent customer services skills? If so, then the Travel Counsellor program may be the right choice for you. The global nature of business and the growing leisure industry is fuelling demand for travel. Excellent travel counsellors who can efficiently plan and organize business travel and vacations are in demand.
Travel Counsellor Program Objective
The Travel Counsellor Diploma program at Algonquin Careers Academy is designed to provide our students with a thorough understanding of the travel and tourism industry. Through the Travel Counsellor courses, the students will obtain an understanding of agency operations, computer reservation systems, ticketing, destinations, geography, customer service and sales techniques.
The students will develop an awareness of the basic location of cities and countries but also develop a cultural awareness of popular tourist destinations. There is an emphasis on passenger itineraries, climate, when to go, transportation, accommodation, health advisories, what to do, what to buy, where to eat, travel tips and fascinating facts for a wide variety of destinations.
Tour selection and planning is an important part of a travel agency’s business. Cruises, rail transportation and motor coach tours will be studied in conjunction with packages, independent tours, and travel insurance. Sales techniques, the day-to-day operations of a travel agency, filing procedures, agency accounting and maintaining client files are all taught. Upon completion the students will be able to successfully select and sell and tours.
Our aim is to graduate our students with the knowledge and training to:
- Offer the client information about sightseeing, weather, local customs and culture
- Consult clients to determine travel needs and expectations and make appropriate recommendations
- Ensure travel expenses remain within the client’s budget
- Make the necessary travel arrangements for the client including booking flights, accommodations, and car rentals
- Negotiate pricing on behalf of the client with hotels, airlines, travel companies, and other
- To have sufficient knowledge of the travel and tourism industry to be confident seeking career opportunities across he broad range of positions within this field.
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Training Readiness score now!
Travel Counsellor Practical Placements
The Travel Counsellor program includes a two week co-op placement. Algonquin Careers Academy maintains relationships with members of the Travel and Tourism industry. You get the advantage of this relationship through your co-op placement. The placement allows you to apply your classroom learning, gain confidence in your abilities and open doors to future employment.
Successful completion of the two week placement is necessary for graduation.
Travel Counsellor Relevant Certification
The Travel Counsellor program is endorsed by the Association of Canadian Travel agencies (ACTA). Certification is not required for this field in Ontario although graduates are encouraged to become members of ACTA.
It is important that individuals working in the Travel and Tourism industry in Ontario obtain Travel Industry Council of Ontario (TICO) certification. This certification is included in the program.
Travel Counsellor Career Opportunities
As a graduate of the Travel Counsellor program, you will find career opportunities and employment in areas such as corporate travel agents, leisure travel agents, airlines, hotels, home based agents, referral agents, and owning their own travel business. Relevant positions include:
- Travel Counsellor
- Travel Consultant
- Travel Agent
- Tourism Industry Consultant
- Travel Agency Manager
- Travel Agent, Corporate
- Executive Assistant
Travel Counsellor Wage Information
Source: Travel Counsellors (NOCC 6521) Ontario www.jobbank.gc.ca, September 2019
Travel Counsellor Program Admission Requirements
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or the equivalent, or if 18 years of age or over, you may apply as a mature student and write an entrance exam
- Language proficiency is an essential skill required for all Travel Counsellors
- Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Immigration approval
- Assessment Interview to determine suitability for the Travel Counsellor program
- Applicants must have a positive attitude and genuinely like working with people
Travel Counsellor Fee Information
Tuition: $7,500 Textbooks and other fees: $1,001
Let's Get Started