Medical Laboratory Assistant and Technician Program and Career Courses
In-class Diploma Program
- 40 weeks total time to complete including a 4 week full time clinical placement and 2 week full time experiential learning simulation
- Classes scheduled Monday to Friday, 4 hours per day
Online Distance Education Diploma Program
40 weeks total time to complete based on 20 hours per week of dedicated learning plus homework
- Includes a 4 week full time clinical placement and a 2 week full time experiential learning simulation
- Majority of the course content is completed online within pre-scheduled milestones
- Instructor time is scheduled each week via video lectures
Do you have an interest in science and the medical field? Then the Medical Lab Technician program may be the program for you! Med Lab Technicians conduct routine medical laboratory tests and set up, clean and maintain medical laboratory equipment.
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician Program Goal and Objectives
The goal of Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician (MLA/T) Diploma program is to prepare you to successfully start a challenging career in a medical laboratory or medical clinic. Our program will train you to perform standard medical lab tests such as blood tests, immunoassays, cultures and ECGs.
The program objectives are for you to achieve the learning competencies published by the Medical Laboratory Professionals Association of Ontario (MLPAO - https://www.mlpao.org) and the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS - http://www.csmls.org).
In the MLA/T course, our students will learn to perform the following:
- Collect blood or other samples from patients
- Receive tissue samples from patients
- Log patient samples and prepare them for testing
- Set up medical laboratory equipment
- Conduct routine laboratory tests and sample analyses
- Clean and maintain a medical laboratory and medical laboratory equipment.
Students also learn laboratory safety and WHMIS, the structure and function of the body, the body systems, clinical chemistry, laboratory mathematics, medical terminology, OHIP and information handling, electrocardiogram and holter monitor, heart and heart disease, circulatory system, vital signs, and microbiology.
A clinical placement combined with practical classroom instruction ensures our students graduate with confidence in themselves and in their theoretical and practical skills.
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician Placements
Algonquin Careers Academy has an excellent working relationship with various members of the medical industry. During the last six weeks of the program our students supplement the in-class training with an “on the job” placement arranged by Algonquin Careers Academy. This is comprised of a 4 week clinical placement and a 2 week experiential learning simulation. This provides an opportunity to apply the lessons learned in the classroom, gain confidence, and open doors to future employment.
Successful completion of the 240 hours of placement and experiential learning simulation is necessary for graduation.
Is a Career as a Medical Professional Right for You?
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get your Medical Professional Career Training Readiness score now!
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician Relevant Certification
Algonquin Careers Academy’s Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician diploma program is approved by the Medical Laboratory Professionals Association of Ontario (MLPAO) and the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
Algonquin Careers Academy's program is accredited by EQual™ Accreditation Canada.
MLPAO provides a provincial certification exam (https://www.mlpao.org/mlat-exam) and the CSMLS (http://www.csmls.org/Certification/Certification-Exam/Exam-Preparation-Videos.aspx) provides a national certification exam.
Graduates of our MLA/T diploma program are eligible and encouraged to write both the MLPAO and the CSMLS certification examinations.
The CSMLS certification exam must be undertaken within 12 months of graduation. The designation of Certified Medical Laboratory Assistant will be granted upon successful completion of this examination. This exam is offered three times a year. The provincial MLPAO certification examination is offered in March, June and November. The designation of MLA/T will be granted upon successful completion of the MLPAO examination.
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician Career Opportunities
Graduates of the MLA/T program will find employment in medical laboratories, in hospitals, clinics, research institutes and universities and in government research laboratories. MLA/Ts must be able to function in a stressful environment, be prepared to take on shifts at any time of the day or night, and be prepared to work periodic overtime. Flexibility with hours is particularly important at facilities staffed around the clock, such as hospitals. In addition, MLA/Ts must be physically able to remain on their feet for most of the day, and be prepared to lift and carry lab samples or equipment from one location to another. MLA/Ts must also have good interpersonal skills to interact with patients and their families. Relevant positions include:
- Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician
- Medical Laboratory Aide
- Medical Laboratory Assistant
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Clinical Laboratory Assistants
- Phlebotomy Aide
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician Wage Information
$/hr rate Ontario:
Source: Medical Laboratory Technician (NOCC 3212) Ontario www.jobbank.gc.ca, September 2021
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician Program Admission Requirements
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or the equivalent, or if 18 years of age or over, you may apply as a mature student and write an entrance exam
- Ontario grade 12 English or equivalent
- Language proficiency is an essential skill required for all Medical Laboratory Assistants/Technicians
- Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Immigration approval
- Assessment Interview to determine suitability for the Medical Laboratory Technician program
- A medical report including current immunizations is required for placement
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician Fee Information
Tuition: $11,750 Textbooks and other fees: $1,206 International Student Fee: $2,000