Intra-Oral Dental Assisting Level 1 & 2 Course & Program
- Diploma Program – 48 weeks (total time in class and on practical placement)
- Monday to Thursday, 5 hours per day
- Available only at the Albert Street Campus in Ottawa
A growing need for dental services and improved access to healthcare in Ontario is fuelling demand for trained Intra-Oral Dental Assistants.
If you enjoy helping others and are interested in getting into a rewarding career in a dental environment (without spending years in school), now’s the time to consider your potential in Intra-Oral Dental Assisting.
Intra-Oral Dental Assisting Program Objectives
The Intra-Oral Dental Assisting Level 1 & 2 Diploma program is designed to prepare graduates to have the following skills:
- Dental Office Operations
- Dental Materials
- Operative Dentistry
- Preventive Dentistry
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Functioning in a clinical setting
- First Aid and CPR
- Ethics and Professionalism
- Communication Skills
The courses include: dental anatomy and physiology, dental microbiology, sterilization and WHMIS, dental pharmacology and antibiotics, radiology 1 & 2, dental materials/matrix bases & liners, principles of dental assisting 1, 2 & 3, operative dentistry, preventative dentistry, dental operation procedures and charting, career strategies and field placement.
Our goal is to have students develop current, practical knowledge and skills to perform competently, effectively and safely in the field of dental assisting. Throughout the program our aim is to have students gain and build on their communication, leadership, interpersonal, and technical skills. The courses will help the students prepare for their NDAEB certification. A co-op placement combined with practical classroom instruction ensures you graduate with confidence in yourself and in your theoretical and practical skills.
Intra-Oral Dental Assisting Practical Placement
Algonquin Careers Academy has an excellent working relationship with various members of the dental industry. During the last two weeks of the program the Intra-Oral Dental Assistant program students will supplement their in-class training with an “on the job” practical placement arranged by Algonquin Careers Academy. The placement provides an opportunity to apply the lessons learned in the classroom, gain confidence, and open doors to future employment.
Successful completion of the supervised practical placement is necessary for graduation.
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Training Readiness score now!
Intra-Oral Dental Assistant Relevant Competencies
Algonquin Careers Academy teaches to the Domain Description for Dental Assisting which is the industry standard in Canada. Upon successful completion of our program, students may be eligible to sit for the National Dental Assisting Education Board (NDAEB) examination. All dental assistants wishing to perform intra-oral duties (Level II) in the Province of Ontario are required to hold the NDAEB certificate. As well, the program is qualified by H.A.R.P. (Healing Arts Radiation Protection).
Intra-Oral Dental Assistant Career Opportunities
With the continued need for Level 1 & 2 Dental Assisting there will be a steady demand for graduates in this field. Intra-Oral Dental Assistant graduates can expect to find employment opportunities in general dentistry, specialized dentistry, operative dentistry & dental sales.
Intra-Oral Dental Assistant Wage Information
Source: Intra-Oral Dental Assistants (NOCC 3411-C) Ottawa, Ontario www.jobbank.gc.ca, October 2017
Intra-Oral Dental Assisting Program Admission Requirements
Let's Get Started
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or the equivalent, or if 18 years of age or over, you may apply as a mature student and write an entrance exam
- Language proficiency is an essential skill required for all workers in Intra-Oral Dental Assisting
- Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Immigration approval
- Assessment interview to determine suitability for the Intra-Oral Dental Assisting program
- Up-to-date Immunization Report
- A clear criminal background check may be required by some placement hosts and employers
- Applicants must have a genuine interest in a dental healthcare, have excellent interpersonal skills and enjoy working with people