Intra-Oral Dental Assisting Program: Level 1 and 2 Courses
In-class Diploma Program
- 48 weeks total time to complete including a 2 week practical placement
- Classes scheduled Monday to Thursday, 5 hours per day
- Available only at the Albert Street Campus in Ottawa
A growing need for dental services and improved access to healthcare in Ontario is fuelling demand for trained Intra-Oral Dental Assistants.
If you enjoy helping others and are interested in getting into a rewarding career in a dental environment (without spending years in school), now’s the time to consider your potential in Intra-Oral Dental Assisting.
Intra-Oral Dental Assisting Program Objectives
The Intra-Oral Dental Assisting Level 1 & 2 Diploma program is designed to prepare graduates with the following skills:
- Assisting the dentist during a variety of treatment procedures
- Taking and developing dental radiographs (x-rays)
- Obtaining patient's medical history and taking blood pressure and pulse
- Serving as an infection control officer developing infection control protocol and preparing and sterilizing instruments and equipment according to IPAC standards
- Helping patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment
- Providing patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment procedures, such as the placement of a restoration (filling)
- Teaching patient’s appropriate oral hygiene and dietary counselling strategies to maintain oral health; (e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counselling)
- Taking impressions of patients' teeth for study casts (models of teeth)
- Performing office administration tasks
- Perform level 2 skills such as mechanical polishing of the coronal portion of the teeth, placement and removal of rubber dam, taking preliminary impressions of teeth for study models, topical application of anti-cariogenic agents, application of materials topically to prepare the surface of the teeth for pit and fissure sealants, application of pit and fissure sealants, application of topical anaesthetics, application of desensitizing agents, whitening of the coronal portion of the teeth using materials generally available to the public without prescription, polishing restorations, oral irrigation and more
- Communicating with patients and suppliers (e.g., scheduling appointments, answering the telephone, billing and ordering supplies)
- Helping to provide direct patient care in all dental specialties, including orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, endodontics and oral surgery
The courses include:
- Dental Anatomy and Histology
- Dental Microbiology and Sterilization
- Dental Pharmacology and Nutrition
- Radiology 1 & 2
- Dental Materials
- Intra Oral Principles 1, 2 & 3
- Operative Dentistry
- Preventative Dentistry
- Dental Office Procedures
- Dental Medical Emergencies
- Field Placement
Our goal is to have students develop current, practical knowledge and skills to perform competently, effectively and safely in the field of dental assisting. Throughout the program our aim is to have students gain and build on their communication, leadership, interpersonal, and technical skills. The courses will help the students prepare for their NDAEB certification. A co-op placement combined with practical classroom instruction ensures you graduate with confidence in yourself and in your theoretical and practical skills.
Intra-Oral Dental Assisting Practical Placement
Algonquin Careers Academy has an excellent working relationship with various members of the dental industry. During the last two weeks of the program the Intra-Oral Dental Assistant program students will supplement their in-class training with an “on the job” practical placement arranged by Algonquin Careers Academy. The placement provides an opportunity to apply the lessons learned in the classroom, gain confidence, and open doors to future employment.
Successful completion of the supervised practical placement is necessary for graduation.
Is a Career as a Dental Professional Right for You?
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get your Dental Professional Career Training Readiness score now!
Intra-Oral Dental Assistant Relevant Competencies
Algonquin Careers Academy teaches to the Domain Description for Dental Assisting which is the industry standard in Canada. Upon successful completion of our program, students may be eligible to sit for the National Dental Assisting Education Board (NDAEB) examination. All dental assistants wishing to perform intra-oral duties (Level 2) in the Province of Ontario are required to hold the NDAEB certificate. The program is qualified by H.A.R.P. (Healing Arts Radiation Protection).
Intra-Oral Dental Assistant Career Opportunities
With the continued need for Level 1 & 2 Dental Assisting there will be a steady demand for graduates in this field. Intra-Oral Dental Assistant graduates can expect to find employment opportunities in general dentistry, specialized dentistry, operative dentistry & dental sales.
Intra-Oral Dental Assistant Wage Information
Source: Intra-Oral Dental Assistants (NOCC 3411) Ottawa, Ontario www.jobbank.gc.ca, September 2019
Intra-Oral Dental Assisting Program Admission Requirements
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or the equivalent, or if 18 years of age or over, you may apply as a mature student and write an entrance exam
- Language proficiency is an essential skill required for all workers in Intra-Oral Dental Assisting
- Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Immigration approval
- Assessment interview to determine suitability for the Intra-Oral Dental Assisting program
- Up-to-date Immunization Report
- A clear criminal background check may be required by some placement hosts and employers
- Applicants must have a genuine interest in a dental healthcare, have excellent interpersonal skills and enjoy working with people
Intra-Oral Dental Assisting Fee Information
Tuition: $14,300 Textbooks and other fees: $1,880 International Student Fee: $2,780