Medical Esthetician Diploma Program and Career Courses
In-class Diploma Program
- 66 weeks total time to complete including a 4 week practical placement
- Classes scheduled Monday to Friday, 4 hours per day
Online Distance Education Certificate Program
- 66 weeks total time to complete based on 20 hours per week for academic portion plus homework
- Includes a 4 week practical placement
- Majority of the theory content is completed online within pre-scheduled milestones
- Instructor time is scheduled each week via video lectures
- Practical labs are prescheduled and delivered on campus
A growing demand for medical esthetic services is fuelling demand for trained Medical Estheticians. If you enjoy a personal connection with clients and are interested in getting into a rewarding career in an upscale spa environment or in starting your own business, now is the time to consider your potential as a Medical Esthetician.
Approved as a vocational program under the Ontario Career Colleges Act, 2005.
Medical Esthetician Program Objectives
The Medical Esthetician Diploma program is designed to prepare graduates with the following skills:
- Application of knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathology, histology and terminology to the provision of specialized esthetic services
- A variety of specialized skin and body care treatments following appropriate procedures such as facials, body treatments, cosmetic massages, manicures, pedicures, basic make-up applications, lash and brow enhancements and hair removal
- Experience using a range of specialized equipment and products
- Knowledge to select and recommend the use of esthetic products
- Develop and maintain suitable customer service strategies and professional relationships
- Business skills and activities required for the successful establishment and operation of a small esthetics business in a salon or spa environment
- Perform chemical and mechanical exfoliation treatment
- Perform laser hair removal and photo rejuvenation
Our goal is to have students develop current, practical knowledge and skills to perform competently, effectively and safely as Medical Estheticians. Throughout the program our aim is to have students gain and build on their communication, leadership, interpersonal, and technical skills. A co-op placement combined with practical classroom instruction ensures you graduate with confidence in yourself and in your theoretical and practical skills.
Medical Esthetician Practical Placement
Algonquin Careers Academy has an excellent working relationship with a variety of businesses including the salon and spa industry. We have the personnel in place to find appropriate placements for our students. During the last four weeks of the program, the Medical Esthetician students will supplement their in-class training with an “on the job” practical placement arranged by Algonquin Careers Academy. The placement provides an opportunity to apply the lessons learned in the classroom, gain confidence, and open doors to future employment.
Successful completion of the supervised practical placement is necessary for graduation.
Is a Career as a Medical Professional Right for You?
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Training Readiness score now!
Medical Esthetician Career Opportunities
With the growing demand for Esthetic services there will be a steady need for graduates in this field. Medical Esthetician graduates can expect to find employment opportunities in a salon, a spa, a specialized field of esthetics or your own small business.
Medical Esthetician Wage Information
Source: Estheticians, Electrologists and Related Occupations (NOCC 6562) Ontario www.jobbank.gc.ca, August 2022
Medical Esthetician Program Admission Requirements
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or the equivalent, or if 18 years of age or over, you may apply as a mature student and write an entrance exam
- Language proficiency is an essential skill required for workers in the Medical Esthetics field
- Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Immigration approval
- Assessment interview to determine suitability for the Medical Esthetician program
- Up-to-date Immunization Report
- Applicants must have a genuine interest in esthetics, have excellent interpersonal skills and enjoy working with people
Medical Esthetician Fee Information
Tuition: $12,900 Textbooks and other fees: $1,890 International Student Fee: $2,000