Personal Support Worker (PSW) Program and Career Courses
In-class Certificate Program
- 30 weeks total time to complete including an 8 week 37.5 hour per week placement
- Classes scheduled Monday to Friday, 4 hours per day
- Offered mornings, afternoons or evenings
Online Distance Education Certificate Program
- 30 weeks total time to complete based on 20 hours per week for academic portion and 37.5 hours per week during placement
- Additional time for homework is required
- Includes an 8 week practical placement in Long-term Care and Community workplaces
- Majority of the course content is completed online within pre-scheduled milestones
- Instructor time is scheduled each week via video lectures
- Practical labs are prescheduled and delivered in the Personal Support Worker Labs on campus
The Covid 19 pandemic put a sharp focus on the need for well trained and fairly paid personal support workers. The growing need for medical services by an aging population and an increased focus by government on home and long-term care are fuelling demand for trained, knowledgeable and caring Personal Support Workers.
Knowing that you are making a difference to people who need you is what makes the PSW career choice very rewarding for caring individuals with excellent people skills. The PSW program is designed to provide our students with the necessary training and education to pursue a career in the traditional nursing assistant role in health care environments.
Personal Support Worker Program Objective
The Personal Support Worker Certificate program is designed to provide our students with the necessary training and education to pursue a career in the traditional nursing assistant role in health care environments. Students learn practical support-related skills such as assisting with routine daily living activities, personal care, mobility, safety, medications, medical conditions, household management and meal preparation along with the interpersonal skills to deal effectively with clients, families, and healthcare team members. Sensitivity to individuals and their rights is a central theme of the instruction for the Personal Support Worker. Students will acquire the necessary skills to respond to the emotional and physical needs of patients, residents and/or clients who are under their care.
A clinical placement combined with practical classroom instruction ensures you graduate with confidence in yourself and in your practical skills.
Personal Support Worker Clinical Placements
Algonquin Careers Academy has an excellent working relationship with various organizations for clinical placement. During the last weeks of the program the students will supplement their in-class training with an “on the job” clinical placement arranged by Algonquin Careers Academy. The placement provides an opportunity to apply the lessons learned in the classroom, gain confidence, and open doors to future employment.
Successful completion of the clinical placement is necessary for graduation from the Personal Support Worker program.
Is a Rewarding Career as a Personal Support Worker Right for You?
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get your Personal Support Worker Career Training Readiness score now!
PSW Relevant Certifications
Our Personal Support Worker courses are based on the Ministry of Colleges and Universities Personal Support Worker Standard 2014.
Personal Support Worker Career Opportunities
With the aging population and the greater demand for health care, PSW is a field with excellent job opportunities. Our graduates find employment in nursing homes, retirement residences, hospitals, hospices, in-home care and with health care service organizations. Personal Support Workers are an important part of the health care system delivering health care support. Relevant positions include:
- Personal Support Worker
- Patient Services Associate
- Continuing Care Assistant
- Health Care Aide
- Long Term Care Aide
- Nurse Aide
- Nursing Attendant
- Patient Care Aide
- Patient Service Associate
- Psychiatric Aide
Personal Support Worker Wage Information
Source: Nurse Aides, Orderlies and Patient Service Associates (NOC 3413) Ontario www.jobbank.gc.ca, August 2022
Personal Support Worker Program Admission Requirements
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or the equivalent, or if 18 years of age or over, you may apply as a mature student and write an entrance exam
- English language proficiency is an essential skill required for all Personal Support Workers
- Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Immigration approval
- A clear criminal background check including a clear vulnerable sector check is required
- A medical report and up-to-date immunizations are required for placement
- Students must be in good physical and mental condition to handle the demands of being a PSW
- Assessment Interview to determine suitability for the PSW program
- Applicants to the Personal Support Worker program must have a positive attitude and genuinely like helping people
Personal Support Worker Fee Information
Tuition: $6,100 Textbooks and other fees: $943 International Student Fee: $2,000
Tuition: $6,100 Textbooks and other fees: $590 International Student Fee: $2,000