Medical Office Assistant Program and Career Courses
In-class Diploma Program
- 33 weeks total time to complete including a 4 week full time clinical placement
- Classes scheduled Monday to Friday, 4 hours per day
Online Distance Education Diploma Program
33 weeks total time to complete based on 20 hours per week of dedicated learning plus homework
- Includes a 4 week full time practical placement
- Majority of the course content is completed online within pre-scheduled milestones
- Instructor time is scheduled each week via video lectures
Are you an organized individual with excellent customer service skills who loves to work in a fast paced environment? The Medical Office Assistant program may be the right choice for you. The growing need for medical and dental services by an aging population combined with a strong government focus on improving access to healthcare in Ontario is fuelling demand for trained and knowledgeable Medical Office Assistants.
Medical Office Assistant Program Objective
The Medical Office Assistant (MOA) Diploma program is designed to provide our students with the medical, clerical, and communication skills necessary to start a career as a member of the health care team in a medical or dental office. The four week practical placement combined with the 29 week classroom instruction ensures our students graduate with confidence and a familiarity with medical terminology, office procedures, microcomputer applications, customer service and related skills. In the MOA program, all of the aspects of a busy office are addressed including: scheduling and confirming medical appointments, filing, telephone protocol, letter writing, business communications, confidentiality and legal aspects, records and inventory management, handling mail and Ministry of Health billing. Students learn: patient registration, how to take family history, medical history and patient history, the various body systems and how they function, and medical terms including those related to diagnosis and treatment. Students also learn how to initiate procedural set ups including patient preparation, how to perform diagnostic procedures, and how to collect patient specimens. A portion of the course addresses administration of a dental office including dental office procedures. Students will learn both Accuro, the number one single platform electronic medical record (EMR) system used in Canada, and AbleDent, the software of choice for dental offices.
The focus of our Medical Office Assistant program is on preparing our students to be efficient and effective in the medical and dental office environments.
Medical Office Assistant Clinical Placements
During the last weeks of the program we will supplement the in-class training with an “on the job” clinical placement arranged by Algonquin Careers Academy through our many relationships in the medical and dental community. The placement provides the opportunity to apply the lessons learned in the classroom, gain confidence, and open doors to future employment.
Successful completion of the four weeks of clinical placement is necessary for graduation.
Is a Career as a Medical Professional Right for You?
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get your Medical Professional Career Training Readiness score now!
Medical Office Assistant Career Opportunities
Graduates of the Medical Office Assistant program can find employment in general/family practices, dental offices, medical specialists’ offices, clinics, chiropractor/ physiotherapy / podiatrist practices, diagnostic imaging clinics, seniors/nursing homes and various hospital departments. Medical Office Assistants are an important part of the health care system delivering administrative and basic clinical services. Relevant positions include:
- Medical/Dental Receptionist
- Medical/Health Office Assistant
- Medical/Health Office Manager
- Dental Office Assistant
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Hospital Patient Registration Clerk
- Ward Clerk
- Medical Billing Clerk/Secretary
- Administrator in Government Health Agencies
Medical Office Assistant Wage Information
Source: Medical Administrative Assistants (NOCC 1243) Ontario www.jobbank.gc.ca, August 2022
Medical Office Assistant Program Admission Requirements
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or the equivalent, or if 18 years of age or over, you may apply as a mature student and write an entrance exam
- Language proficiency is an essential skill required for all Medical Office Assistants
- Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Immigration approval
- Assessment Interview to determine suitability for the MOA program
- A medical report including current immunizations is required for placement
- Applicants must have a positive attitude and genuinely like working with people
Medical Office Assistant
Tuition: $9,100 Textbooks and other fees: $1,689 International Student Fee: $2,000