Law Clerk Program and Career Courses
In-class Diploma Program
- 34 weeks total time to complete including a 4 week full time practical placement
- Monday to Friday, 4 hours per day
Online Distance Education Diploma Program
- 34 weeks total time to complete based on 20 hours per week of dedicated learning plus homework
- Includes a 4 week practical placement
- Majority of the course content is completed online within pre-scheduled milestones
- Instructor time is scheduled each week via video lectures
Are you a well-organized individual with excellent communication and administrative skills with an interest in the law? Then the Law Clerk course may be the right choice for you! Law clerks prepare legal documents, maintain records and files and conduct research to assist lawyers or other professionals. Our Law Clerk diploma program prepares you for a career in this interesting and busy field.
Law Clerk Program Objective
The objective of the Law Clerk Diploma program is to provide our students with the skills and confidence required to be employed as a Law Clerk. The technical and clerical aspects of assisting a legal professional are emphasized throughout the program. Our students graduate with an in-depth and practical knowledge of legal terminology, drafting of various legal documents, legal office administration and law office software. Areas of law studied include: wills and power of attorney, real estate law, civil litigation, family law, and corporate and commercial law. Administrative and productivity skills are enhanced with the following courses: computer essentials with keyboarding, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, bookkeeping and effective business writing.
Our Law Clerk program prepares our students to perform the following duties:
- Assist legal professionals by interviewing clients, witnesses and other related parties, assembling documentary evidence, preparing trial briefs, and arranging for trials
- Prepare wills, real estate transactions and other legal documents, court reports and affidavits
- Research records, court files and other legal documents
- Draft legal correspondence and perform general office and clerical duties.
A practical placement will ensure you graduate with exposure to the profession. You will find a new confidence in yourself and your skills after your time with us.
Law Clerk Practical Placements
Algonquin Careers Academy has excellent relationships with a variety of legal institutions including law firms, paralegal firms, legal aid agencies, and government organizations. Our students will have a four week co-op work placement where they will use the skills learned in the classroom and experience their profession from the practical perspective.
Is a Fulfilling Legal Career Right for You?
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get your Legal Career Training Readiness score now!
Law Clerk Career Opportunities
Graduates with a Law Clerk diploma are qualified to work in a wide variety of work settings from law offices to the legal departments of companies. The skills acquired in the program are diverse and essential to all offices. Employer opportunities to consider include:
- Government (Federal, Provincial, Municipal)
- Large and medium sized corporations
- Law and paralegal firms
- Banks/financial institutions
- Insurance companies
- Legal clinics
- Other law-related organizations
Job titles include:
- Commercial law clerk
- Land titles examiner
- Law clerk
- Legal assistant
- Legal researcher
- Litigation legal assistant
- Real estate law clerk
- Title searcher
Law Clerk Wage Information
Source: Legal Administrative Assistant (NOC 1242) Ontario www.jobbank.gc.ca, August 2022
Law Clerk Program Admission Requirements
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or the equivalent, or if 18 years of age or over, you may apply as a mature student and write an entrance exam
- Ontario grade 12 English or equivalent
- Language proficiency is an essential skill required for all Law Clerks
- Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Immigration approval
- Assessment Interview to determine suitability for the Law Clerk course
- A criminal record may affect a graduate’s ability to get a job – please discuss with our Admissions Advisor or LSUC before enrolling in a Law Clerk program
Law Clerk Fee Information
Tuition: $9,100 Textbooks and other fees: $1,795 International Student Fee: $2,000