Early Childcare Assistant Course & Program
- Diploma Program - 28 weeks (total time in class and on practical placement)
- Monday to Friday, 5 hours per day
Do you enjoy working with children? Do you want to provide a safe and nurturing environment for children while being instrumental in their social, emotional and physical development?
This intense fast track program gets you career ready in just 7 months and includes 8 weeks of practical 'on the job' training. There is a high demand for Early Childcare Assistants due to the increasing demand for childcare services in Ontario.
The Early Childcare Assistant diploma program at Algonquin Careers Academy may right for you!
Early Childcare Assistant Program Objectives
The Early Childcare Assistant diploma program is designed to prepare graduates to have the following skills:
• Collaborate with teachers in planning, developing and implementing daily activities that support and promote development in children
• Assist children with dressing, washroom routines and lunchtime activities
• Prepare snacks and arrange rooms or furniture for lunch and rest periods
• Be confident in providing support and supervision during play, encourage socialization and enhance a child’s self esteem
• Engage children in activities by telling stories, teaching songs and preparing crafts
• Maintain daycare equipment and assist in housekeeping and cooking duties
• Attend staff meetings to discuss progress and problems of children
• Assist early childhood educators or supervisors in keeping records
• Complete anecdotal reports, observation checklists, and maintain on-going developmental records for each child
Our goal is to have students develop current, practical knowledge and skills to perform competently, effectively and safely as an Early Childcare Assistant. Throughout the program our aim is to have students gain and build on their communication, leadership, interpersonal, and technical skills. A practical placement combined with classroom instruction ensures you graduate with confidence in yourself and in your theoretical and practical skills.
Early Childcare Assistant Practical Placement
Algonquin Careers Academy has an excellent working relationship with a variety of employers. During the program students will supplement their in-class training with 8 weeks of non-paid “on the job” practical placement arranged by Algonquin Careers Academy. The placement provides an opportunity to apply the lessons learned in the classroom, gain confidence, and open doors to future employment.
Successful completion of the supervised practical placement is necessary for graduation.
The fun, online quiz takes 3 minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Training Readiness score now!
Early Childcare Assistant Career Opportunities
With the growing demand for childcare services there will be a steady need for graduates in this field. Early Childcare Assistant graduates can expect to find employment opportunities in child-care centres, day-care centres, kindergartens, agencies for exceptional children and other settings where early childhood education services are provided.
Job titles include:
• Early childcare assistant
• Preschool helper
• Child care worker assistant
• Child care worker, daycare
• Daycare helper
• Daycare worker
• Early childhood program staff assistant
• Early childhood educator staff assistant
• Early childhood educator assistant
Early Childcare Assistant Wage Information
Source: Early Childhood Educators and Assistants (NOCC 4214) Ontario www.jobbank.gc.ca, August 2022
Early Childcare Assistant Program Admission Requirements
• Ontario Secondary School Diploma or the equivalent, or if 18 years of age or over, you may apply as a mature student and write an entrance exam
• Language proficiency is an essential skill required for workers in the Childcare field
• Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Immigration approval
• Assessment interview to determine suitability for the Early Childcare Assistant program
• Up-to-date Immunization Report
• A clear criminal background check including a clear vulnerable sector check is required
Early Childcare Assistant Fee Information
Tuition: $7,500 Textbooks and other fees: $1,000