Law Clerk Program
(Please note that programs may be changed or upgraded to meet the demands of industry without notice)
Core Legal Courses:
A. General Law Office Practice
- Day to day procedures unique to a legal office environment
- Records management
B. Wills and Power of Attorney
- Overview of legal principles
- Preparation and execution of a will
- Administration of an estate
C. Real Estate Law
- Purchase and sale documentation
- Forms of land ownership in Ontario
- Exposure to relevant software
D. Civil Litigation
- Introduction to Ontario court system
- Rules of Court
- Processing of a civil action
E. Family Law
- Drafting, preparation and execution of domestic contracts
- Divorce proceeding
F. Corporate and Commercial Law
- Forms of business ownership
- Steps required to incorporate
- Personal Property Security Act
G. Law Office Software
- Software used in a modern law office
- Record keeping, real estate, family law, wills and estates
Administrative and Productivity Skills:
Computer Essentials and Keyboarding
- Introduction to computer operations, operating system basics, disk structures and keyboarding.
- Basic computer hardware operation; information sharing and customization.
- Windows graphical user interface; basic touch-typing techniques (alphanumeric keyboard)
- Effective file management
- Obtain touch typing skills with a goal of 45 words per minute before graduation.
Microsoft Word Level 1 and Level 2
- Process and edit text; create letters, envelopes and labels; use editing and writing tools.
- Use editing and writing tools; use character, paragraph and page formatting features.
- Practical workplace applications; sections, page numbers, headers and footers.
- Create and format tables; insert, size and position graphics; use style and templates; work with columns
Microsoft Excel Level 1
- Create, print and modify workbooks;
- Calculate with formulae and dfunctionsl work with rangesl sort data;
- Create and format chartsl format worksheet text and values
- Analyzing and recording business transactions using double-entry bookkeeping
- Adjusting and recording journal entries; general ledger; preparation of basic financial statements;
- Fundamental accounting principles; chart of accounts; assets, liabilities, equities; debits and credits
- Focuses on learning writing techniques that ensure effective business communication.
- Achieve an effective style by using precise verbs, concrete nouns and vivid adjectives.
- Write memorandums and email messages that deliver information and make requests.
- Write letters and memorandums that request information concisely and promote goodwill.
- Write letters of appreciation, congratulation, sympathy, recommendation and introduction.
- Write effective formal and informal reports.
- Write a formal report including data, using tables, charts and graphs
Legal Office Simulations
Student Success Strategies (Orientation)
- Emphasis is places on thinking about achieving success from day one, and developing the non-technical skills to enhance personal, academic and career success.
- Goal setting; time management and planning; money management.
- Learning styles; memory techniques and note taking; tests and writing techniques
Career and Employment Strategies
This module takes the students through the entire job search process including:
- Where and how to look for a job
- Effective resume preparation
- Creating a cover letter tailored to the position
- Interview preparation
- Job search management
- Self-confidence and self-esteem building
- Mock interviews
- Follow up after the interview