Paralegal Program Outline
(Please note that programs may be changed or upgraded to meet the demands of industry without notice)
Core Legal Courses:
A. Constitutional & Administrative Law
- Introduction to the Legal System
- Administrative Law
B. Practice Skills
- Client Interviewing
- Legal Research and Writing
- Evidence and the Litigation Process
- Major Paper
C. Business Law
- Torts and Contracts
- Employment Law
- Insurance Law
D. Practice before Provincial Courts
- Criminal/Summary Conviction Procedure
- Provincial Offences/ Motor Vehicle Law
- Small Claims Court
E. Legal Advocacy
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Legal Computer Applications
- Business Communication
- Tribunal Practice and Procedure
- Immigration Law
- Residential Landlord and Tenant Law
G. Professional Practice
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility
- Practice Management / Owning and Operating a Small Business
- Legal Accounting
Student Success Strategies
- Emphasis is places on thinking about achieving success from day one, and developing the non-technical skills to enhance personal, academic and career success.
- Goal setting; time management and planning; money management.
- Learning styles; memory techniques and note taking; tests and writing techniques
Career and Employment Strategies
- This module looks at the planning, preparation, execution and follow-up stages of an interview.
- Employer expectations; focusing on the right job; effective resume preparation.
- Individual counselling and coaching; handling objections; job search management.
- Self-confidence and self-esteem building; mock interviews.
Microsoft Word Level 1 and Level 2
- Process and edit text; create letters, envelopes and labels; use editing and writing tools.
- Use editing and writing tools; use character, paragraph and page formatting features.
- Practical workplace applications; sections, page numbers, headers and footers.
- Create and format tables; insert, size and position graphics; use style and templates; work with columns
Microsoft Excel Level 1
- Create, print and modify workbooks;
- Calculate with formulas and functions; work with ranges; sort data;
- Create and format charts; format worksheet text and values.